Crisis Response – Israel
Israel War 2023 – Updates from December 8, 2023
On Saturday, October 7, 2023, Hamas launched a massive attack on Israel. Hamas terrorists invaded southern Israel, killing innocent Israelis in their homes and at a music festival, and taking many hostages. In addition to the invasion, Hamas has fired thousands of rockets into the Holy Land, leaving entire communities in ruins.
October 7, 2023, is now tragically marked as the deadliest day in Jewish history since the Holocaust.
There have been thousands of Israelis killed – including more than 320 IDF soldiers – and more than 5,000 have been wounded. And over 200 Israeli civilians and soldiers have been taken hostage by Hamas. To date, 40 hostages have been released as part of the agreement.*
As Israel continues to face conflict and crisis, she is in desperate need of our help. The Fellowship is on the ground in Israel helping as we speak with immediate and ongoing needs. Israel needs supporters like you now more than ever.
The Fellowship’s Impact
The Fellowship is assessing needs daily, as we are receiving an overwhelming number of requests for aid. Our initial focus will be delivering aid to three populations hardest-hit by this crisis:
· Evacuees from war-torn areas, who were forced to leave their homes
· First responders and volunteers who need medical equipment
· Elderly beneficiaries, families, and new olim (immigrants), who need necessities like food, water, medical equipment, and psychological counseling to deal with trauma
In total, The Fellowship has allocated and distributed more than $14 million in emergency aid to communities and residents in regions of Israel most heavily affected by the devastating terror attacks.
- The Fellowship has set up an Emergency Response Center in Ramle, where local authorities are helping families locate their loved ones
- We’re supplying entertainment kits for children in Sderot and Netivot who have been forced to stay in their bomb shelters since Saturday
- We’re supplying 600 food cards to families evacuated for their own safety from the region
- More than $500,000 ($1,250 per family) will be distributed to 400 families of Israel Defense Forces (IDF) personnel that were injured in combat
- Distribution of 1,600 grants of about $1,250 each to families evacuated from the southern areas hardest hit by the conflict
- Hundreds of hot meals have been distributed to soldiers along the northern border, via Beit Batya soup kitchen and the fortified vehicle donated by The Fellowship
- We’re providing thousands of meals for elderly in the southern towns of Netivot, Sderot, and Ofakim
- We’re providing clothing, food, and transportation for the city of Be’er Sheva
- Mobile units are supplying food, water, and a listening ear for those seeking information on their missing loved ones
- The transfer of $500,000 (with a matching commitment from the Israel Lottery Commission, for a total of $1 million) to communities on the Gaza border to address immediate critical needs such as food, medication, transportation, and therapy services
- A grant of more than $375,000 to NETEL (Victims of Trauma from Terror Activities) to increase their support hotlines (which have seen a 6,000% jump in calls since the war)
- Supplying volunteers for United Hatzalah and Magen David Adom with medical equipment and first responder needs
- Fortified ambulances have been transferred from central Israel to southern Israel where they are most needed
- 30 mobile bomb shelters have been placed since the beginning of the crisis
- Fellowship purchased 4,100 flak jackets for use by security personnel
- A grant of more than $375,000 to NETEL (Victims of Trauma from Terror Activities) to increase their support hotlines, which have seen a 6,000% jump in calls since the outbreak of the war
- Distributed 500 first responder kits
- 2,900 helmets for members of standby emergency teams in northern and southern Israel
*Numbers are reported from December 8, 2023 and are subject to change.
Prayer Points for Israel
Check out our prayer points page to read comforting Bible verses and identify specific prayer needs in this time of crisis.
Pray for Israel
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem and share your prayers for Israel on our Fellowship Prayer Wall in this time of crisis.
Stay Up to Date on the Crisis in Israel
Subscribe to Our Newsletter and stay informed about the war in Israel, news related to the Jewish people, and Jewish-Christian relations.