Let’s Make Spinach Cheese Bourekas!
The Fellowship | December 1, 2016
Our friends at The Nosher show us how to make a popular Israeli treat: bourekas! You can find bourekas everywhere in Israel – from coffee shops to breakfast diners. And the filling varies from sweet to savory. Try this delicious spinach cheese recipe today.
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed in fridge for 1-2 hours
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 4 oz farmers cheese
- 8 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess water
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine feta cheese, farmers cheese, spinach, zest and spices. Mix.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into four pieces. (You will have eight bourekas in total).
- Fold each square of puff pastry in half, trimming edges to ensure a perfect shape.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling and place one one side of the puff pastry square. Fold side over creating a traingle.
- Seal boureka shut using tines of a salad fork.
- Brush with beaten egg. Top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and crisp on top. Serve warm or room temperature.