Three weeks after the Trump administration recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, the U.S. issued the first map including the territory as part of Israel. The map also marks the area of the West Bank as Israeli-occupied until its final status is determined in upcoming peace talks.
- Senior advisor to President Trump, Jared Kushner, announced that the long-awaited Middle East Peace Plan will be unveiled in June when the new Israeli government is in place.
- The Palestinian Authority has already rejected the plan, saying that once the U.S. moved its embassy to Jerusalem, there was “nothing to talk about.”
- Recent reports indicate that the Palestinian Authority has been waging a campaign of arrests and intimidation against Palestinian students because of their political affiliations.
- After a massive fire destroyed the iconic Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris earlier this week, Israeli leaders and French Jewish leaders offered their condolences and support. Israeli President Reuven Rivlin tweeted, “Our hearts are with the citizens of France.”
- Israeli scientists at Tel Aviv University have successfully engineered and printed a 3-D heart, complete with cells, blood vessels, chambers, and ventricles. The technology represents a “major medical breakthrough” for the future of organ transplants.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features the Fellowship’s President Yael Eckstein on remembering slavery while celebrating freedom.Tags: Israel in the News