The Israeli Air Force carried out a series of airstrikes on Hamas terror targets in the Gaza Strip this week in retaliation for a rocket fired from Gaza. The rocket was intercepted and shot down by the Iron Dome defense system.
- Israeli security forces this week arrested the terrorist responsible for an attack in the West Bank last month, which left two IDF soldiers dead. The suspect also carried out a drive-by shooting in the settlement of Ofra, which took the life of a newborn in the settlement and wounded the baby’s parents.
- Parents of the newborn killed in the terrorist attack, Shira and Amichai Ish-Ran, were released this week from the Fellowship-supported Shaare Zedek Medical Center a month after the attack.
- U.S. National Security Advisor John Bolton met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss among other issues the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria. Bolton indicated that withdrawal is “open-ended” after President Trump extended the timeline several times.
- During his visit to Jordan this week, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also said that the U.S. remains committed to fighting terror groups like ISIS in the region, and will redouble its efforts to put pressure on Iran.
- As Israel prepares for a new election in April, the Shin Bet Security Agency warns that meddling from foreign countries is highly probable. The agency is already preparing to counter these attempts.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features The Fellowship‘s Ami Farkas on Israel’s upcoming election.Tags: Israel in the News