Seven decades ago, a miracle occurred when the modern state of Israel was born. But while Israel’s very existence is miraculous, many other amazing things have occurred in the Holy Land over those 70 years. Our friends at ISRAEL21c take us on a fantastic journey through the Jewish state’s history as a creative and innovative nation, telling us the following facts and many, many more:
• Israel is founded on May 14, 1948, a few hours before the British Mandate is due to expire. Eleven minutes later, the United States becomes the first country to recognize the Jewish state when it grants Israel de facto recognition. On May 15, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Syria invade Israel. The War of Independence lasts 13 months.
• The Supreme Court of Israel is inaugurated, the Israeli lira replaces the Palestinian pound, the Israeli flag becomes the state’s official flag.
• El Al, Israel’s new national airline, operates its maiden flight, bringing Israel’s first president, Prof. Haim Weizmann, home from a diplomatic visit to Geneva.
• The new country’s population numbers 806,000…
• The National Water Carrier is completed, bringing water from Israel’s north to the parched south. The development is a major step forward in enabling Israel to turn the Negev Desert into the center of crop production in Israel.
• Osem introduces Bamba, Israel’s favorite peanut snack. In 2015, A British study proved what Israeli parents had long suspected, that this addictive treat, given to children in Israel from a young age, could help prevent peanut allergies.
• Batsheva Dance company is founded by Martha Graham and Baroness Batsheva de Rothschild. It has become Israel’s premiere dance troupe.
• Motorola becomes the first US corporation to set up an R&D unit in Israel. The center initially develops wireless products and later moves into chip production…