You can make your own dreidel!
It may not spin fast enough to use for the dreidel game, but they're great decorations and you can even use them as Hanukkah cards attached to gifts for your friends and family. They also make great placecards for your Hanukkah dinner table.
It's best to use heavy paper or card stock so the dreidels hold their shape. And be sure to decorate them (great colors, glitter, stars whatever makes you happy!) before you assemble them.
Click here to download and print your dreidel template
Instructions for making paper dreidels:
- Cut out shapes along solid lines.
- Color the Hebrew letters, and the background, too, if you like.
- Fold on the dotted lines.
- Apply glue where indicated on the pattern. Bend pieces on the body of the dreidel into place, then press down the glued flaps, forming the sides first.
- When the sides are glued together, it's time for the bottom. Glue the flaps on the bottom and fold carefully, forming the point. Leave the top unglued.
- To hang dreidel from a string, punch a hole in the top of the handle while it is still flat. Pull a string through the hole. Glue the flaps on the handle and paste into the top lid.
- Glue the top lid as indicated and close carefully.