On Sunday, Jan. 17, an Israeli mother of six, Dafna Meir, was stabbed and killed in the doorway of her home by a Palestinian terrorist. Her death marked the latest tragedy in the ongoing spree of terror attacks in Israel. To date, at least 24 Israelis and one American have been killed by Palestinian terrorists.
Also this week in Israel in the News:
• A terror cell that was recruited to conduct suicide bombings and shootings in Israel was uncovered Wednesday. The cell was operated by the son of Hezbollah’s chief leader.
• Four Americans held in prison by Iran, including Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian and Christian pastor Saeed Abedini, returned home this week.
• Since December 2014, The Fellowship has helped more than 2,000 persecuted Jews make a new life in Israel, providing them a range of assistance in adjusting to their new home.
• Nearly 10,000 Jews from Western Europe have immigrated to Israel in 2015 — the largest number ever. The majority have come from France where there has been a rise in anti-Semitism.
• In Iraq, ISIS has destroyed the oldest Christian monastery in that country. More than 100 structures from antiquity have been demolished by ISIS.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features The Fellowship’s Yonit Rothchild with a tribute to terror victim Dafna Meir.