As Stand for Israel reported yesterday, some international diplomats and military experts have absolved Israel of any wrongdoing during Operation Protective Edge. However, the U.N. Human Rights Council is to issue its own report this week. Israel Hayom reports that Prime Minister Netanyahu says the IDF’s actions were in full accordance with international law, and Israeli leader Yair Lapid says the U.N., not the IDF, should be under investigation:
At a meeting in Jerusalem with visiting Polish Foreign Minister Grzegorz Schetyna on Monday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu referred to the Israeli government report on the operation that was published on Sunday.
“Yesterday, I received our official government report about last year’s conflict in Gaza. The report demonstrates unequivocally that our military actions during that conflict were in full accordance with international law, that Israel was exercising its legitimate right of self-defense,” Netanyahu said.
“We fulfill our responsibility to protect our people against terrorists who perpetuate and perpetrate a double war crime. Hamas terrorists deliberately target our civilians while deliberately hiding behind their civilians.”
Turning to the upcoming U.N. report, Netanyahu said, “Israel was pronounced guilty before the investigation even began. They appointed a person to head this committee who was being paid by the Palestinians. This committee has more resolutions against Israel than against North Korea, Syria and Iran combined. This tells you what we’re dealing with. So this campaign, these attacks against Israel, these investigations against Israel, have nothing to do with human rights. They have everything to do with politically inspired attacks in a cynical effort to delegitimize Israel using U.N. bodies…”
Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid said on Monday that the U.N. had “lost its mind.”
“It’s not the IDF — the most moral army in the world — that the U.N. should be investigating, but rather itself,” Lapid said