After Western powers completed the nuclear agreement with Iran, the world's media felt content that the Islamic Republic would no longer be a global threat. But The Jerusalem Post's Yaakov Lappin reports that since then - and especially after the recent release of $100 billion after sanctions were lifted - Israel's military has kept tabs on Iran, as it still remains a current and future threat:
“Hezbollah in Lebanon remains the main threat,” a senior military source said.
“That’s where things are happening that we may not fully grasp. If a third Lebanon war breaks out, we may not fully be aware of the scope and intensity of that event. Hezbollah in the north is the main thing,” the source told The Jerusalem Post on Thursday.
But Iran remains a very significant potential theater in the future, he said.
Despite the historic nuclear agreement last year, “We always have to be ready. Iran heads an axis that threatens Israel. Who said that on the twelfth day of a [potential] war with Hezbollah, we won’t get an order from the prime minister to punish Iran [which sponsors and arms Hezbollah]?” Iran could build its confidence over the next three to five years, and then, in eight to 10 years, it could “lift its heads” and seek a nuclear breakout capability, the source said.
Meanwhile, Iran still “nourishes” the area with malicious terrorism and weapons, the source added.
“The IAF and Military Intelligence have to be ready,” he said.