Earlier this week, an Israeli rabbi was killed after being stabbed several times in the chest in a West Bank terror attack. Rabbi Itamar Ben-Gal was killed as he was going to a circumcision ceremony for his nephew. Rabbi Ben-Gal was buried Tuesday in a funeral attended by hundreds of family and friends. His suspected killer has not been apprehended at this time.
Also this week in Israel in the News:
- The Israeli and Egyptian governments are working together to carry out drone and airstrike attacks against terrorists in the Sinai Peninsula.
- A 17-year-old Palestinian girl, Ahed Tamimi, is set to go on trial for hitting two Israeli soldiers during a protest, in what has become a controversial trial in Israel. Israeli officials say Tamimi has confronted soldiers on previous occasions.
- This week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu honored the “noble men and women” who helped save Jewish lives during the Holocaust at a dedication ceremony.
- Young women from the Fellowship-sponsored Yemin Orde Pre-Army Leadership Program helped elderly celebrate the Jewish holiday Tu B’Shvat¸ “The New Year of Trees,” by planting herbs with them.
- U.S. Middle East Envoy Jason Greenblatt this week condemned the use of Iranian “blood money” that is being used to fund the terror group Hamas’ attacks on Israel.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features The Fellowship’s Yonit Rothchild on the need to remember victims of the Holocaust.