Over the past week, we have reported on Israeli airstrikes against Hezbollah. Now, The Times of Israel's Judah Ari Gross reports that Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman has commented on the strikes - they were carried out to keep the terrorist group from obtaining chemical weapons:
Israel is working to keep chemical weapons out of Hezbollah’s hands, Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman said Thursday, clarifying comments a day earlier that hinted the terror group was attempting to obtain mass-casualty arms.
In a conversation with the Knesset’s Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Liberman again seemed to confirm that Israeli forces had been behind two recent strikes inside Syria that had been blamed on the Jewish State.
The defense minister again insisted that Israel has “absolutely no interest” in getting involved in the Syrian civil war, but will work to defend itself.
“Our policies and our positions are very clear and are based on three red lines: We won’t allow any harm to the citizens of the State of Israel, we won’t allow any harm to the sovereignty of the State of Israel and we will not allow the smuggling of high-quality advanced weapons and chemical weapons from Syria to Lebanon for Hezbollah,” Liberman said.
The comments echoed a statement he made a day earlier to ambassadors from the European Union addressing recent airstrikes in Syria.
“We are working, first and foremost, to defend the safety of our citizens and to protect our sovereignty, and we are trying to prevent the smuggling of advanced weapons, military equipment and weapons of mass destruction from Syria to Hezbollah,” Liberman told the European ambassadors...