This weekend, Stand for Israel joined in prayer with others around the world as London fell victim yet again to terror, in vehicular and stabbing attacks that left seven dead and dozens more injured. Now, The Times of Israel reports that ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack:
“A security detachment from Islamic state carried out London attacks yesterday” the Aamaq news agency said, referring to Saturday’s assault which saw three men in a van plow into pedestrians on London Bridge before going on a stabbing spree.
The SITE Intelligence Group said in a statement Sunday that the Aamaq news service cited “a security source” in the Arabic-language posting claiming the attack.
Islamic State has often made such claims not just when it has sent attackers, but when extremists carrying out deadly plots were inspired by the group’s ideology.
However, SITE director Rita Katz said the claim indicated the attack had been coordinated by the terror group and not simply inspired by it.
The London attack was the third this year that Islamic State has claimed in Britain, after a bombing in Manchester late last month and a similar attack in the heart of London in March.
The three attackers in Saturday’s attack have not been identified.
British police arrested a dozen people Sunday in a widening terrorism investigation after the attackers, using a van and large knives, turned a balmy evening of nightlife into a bloodbath and killed seven people in the heart of London.