In a story that is still developing, The Guardian reports that multiple people have been injured in an apparent attack outside of the British Parliament. Esther Addley reports that people were injured by an attacker in a car, who then proceeded to attack with a knife before being shot by police:
Here is what the Guardian has been able to confirm so far:
- A police officer has been stabbed and the alleged assailant shot by armed police following an incident inside the security cordon of the Houses of Parliament.
- Photographs emerged of a number of casualties on Westminster Bridge, next to the parliament buildings, who had apparently been struck by a car.
- Footage showed a car that had crashed into the perimeter railings of the parliamentary complex.
- Other images, taken from inside the Palace of Westminster building, showed paramedics treating someone inside the Old Palace Yard, within the security cordon.
- Scotland Yard said the attack in Westminster was being treated “as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise”.