The year 2018 marked the highest number of Jews murdered due to anti-Semitism in 25 years. Thirteen Jews were killed last year, including 11 Jews in the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting last fall. In addition, there were record number of anti-Semitic attacks in the street and online, the Israel Hayom reported.
- A 16-year-old Palestinian girl was shot and killed after attempting to stab an Israeli security guard at a crossing east of Jerusalem on Wednesday.
- Violent Palestinian protests continued this week at the Gaza-Israeli border. The Israeli military used tear gas, stun grenades, and live ammunition to push back Gazans trying to cross the border into Israel.
- Israel sent a 137-person team of Israel Defense Forces personnel to Brazil to aid in the search-and-rescue efforts following the collapse of a dam that left dozens dead and hundreds missing.
- A team of Israeli scientists from Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies say the development of a cure for cancer is within reach, predicting it may even be found within a year.
- On Sunday, the world community observed International Holocaust Remembrance Day, the 74th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camps.
This week’s Israel in the News Perspective features The Fellowship’s Yonit Rothchild on looking for good in evil.