The seven species are seven agricultural products - wheat, barley, grape (wine), fig, pomegranates, olive (oil), and date (honey) - that are listed in the Bible as being special products of the land of Israel. We use them all in this delicious chicken recipe:
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 chickens, cut into eighths
- ½ cup (65 g) flour
- 1 cup dried whole figs
- 1 cup (240 g) dried whole dates
- 1 cup (240 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (240 mL) pomegranate juice
- 1 cup (200 g) barley
- 2 cups (475 mL) chicken stock
- 1 cup (230 g) almonds or pecans (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Sauté onions in olive oil in a large pot. Add cinnamon and ginger.
Toss chicken in a bowl with flour, then add chicken to pot and brown on all sides. (This may need to be done in shifts, according to the size of your pot.) Return all chicken pieces to the pot and add remaining ingredients.
Cook 45–60 minutes or until chicken has cooked through. Serve with couscous.
credit: Rena Rossner