Stir together potatoes, scallions, flour, eggs, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a deep skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, spoon 1/8 cup potato mixture into oil and flatten. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until golden brown. Transfer latkes to paper towels to drain.
Optional: Serve with 1/2 cup sour cream mixed with 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil